The City of Jacksonville Historic Preservation Commission selected the Old South Jacksonville City Hall Project for a Preservation Award in the Commercial Restoration/Rehabilitation category. The award was presented at the Preservation Commission Annual Award Ceremony on May 1, 2008.
Designed by the noted Jacksonville architectural firm of Mark and Sheftall, the South Jacksonville City Hall was constructed in 1915, prior to the area’s annexation to Jacksonville in 1932. Designated a local landmark in 2002, the building is one of the few remaining visual reminders of the City of South Jacksonville. On January 21, 2008, San Marco Preservation had the pleasure of re-dedication the old South Jacksonville City Hall for the purposes of their new offices, docent building tours and for community meeting purposes. With many honored guests ranging from Mayor John Peton and Councilman Art Shad to descendants from South Jacksonville City Leaders, such as William P. Belote and John F. White, both elected mayors of South Jacksonville.
The Journey to that celebration started back in 2002 when the honorable Matt Carlucci arranged a deal with City Leaders for the San Marco Preservation Society to get use of the building. Lori Boyer negotiated a lease with the City that involved obtaining a feasibility study, developing a fundraising plan and completing the rehabilitation of the structure. Ken Smith Architects completed the study and was retained to finish the project. Keith Kimbel started select demolition work and hired a contractor. With funding help from Councilman Art Shad, the City and State grants prepared by Jennifer Newman on SMPS’s behalf, restoration work was completed in January 2008.
Work to the building was reviewed for compliance with the Secretary of the interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation by the Division of Historic Resources. In order to restore some of its original integrity, an old postcard illustration and photograph were used to replicate missing architectural details and the historic colors of the structure. Restoration/Rehabilitation work included cleaning and re pointing the brick exterior; custom fabricating the long removed tile roof canopies and decorative wood brackets; repairing the original wood stair, doors and plaster finishes on the interior and installing period lighting.
The honored recipients included San Marco Preservation Society, Ken Smith Architects Inc., Council member Art Shad, Jennifer Newman, Lori Boyer, Keith Kimball, Rob Smith, and Matt Carlucci.
The Society currently operates its office here in South Jax City Hall.
South Jacksonville City hall
1468 Hendricks Ave
SMPS General Information and Conference Room Rental