About the San Marco Preservation Society
The Preservation Society works to preserve and renew San Marco as an area of historical and architectural significance for the benefit of local residents and businesses and the education and enjoyment of visitors and the public at large.
A BRIEF HISTORY
In 1901, at the time of the Great Jacksonville Fire, the Southbank was primarily a ferry landing and shipyard site. As fire ravaged the Northbank, the Southbank became a refuge for families. South Jacksonville was formed in 1907, and development began in earnest with the opening of the St. John’s River (Acosta) Bridge in 1921. Telfair Stockton bought 80 acres of land north of the Mitchell Estate for the new San Marco subdivision and business center. The street names and business district were inspired by the Piazza di San Marco in Venice, Italy.
San Marco was an immediate success. An additional subdivision, Villa Alexandria, was then platted on the overgrown estate in 1929. The first two homes in this development were built by Carl and John Swisher, who had just moved their King Edward Cigar Company from Chicago to Jacksonville.
In 1932, Greater Jacksonville absorbed the South Jacksonville municipality and development transformed the area into much of the community seen today.
Immediate Past President
Traffic / Pedestrian & Bicycle
San Marco By Design
District 5 Councilwoman